Manage your shareholding


The easiest and most convenient means of managing a shareholding, for those who have access to the internet, is through the Capita Share Portal, which is operated by the company's registrars. The portal provides you with instant access to your shareholding, enabling you to access information at any time of the day or night. In addition to being able to access data such as the value of dividend payments, it enables shareholders to keep their personal details up to date at the touch of a button, elect to receive dividend payments directly to a bank account or join the DRIP.

For full details of the services available through the portal and to register please visit the Share Portal home page.

Change of address

If you are not using the Share Portal you can advise the registrar of a change of address by printing and completing the change of address form and sending it to Capita Asset Services at the address on the Contacts page. Alternatively, you can write to them at the same address but you should include both your previous and new address and your investor code or IVC (which you will find on your share certificate, dividend vouchers or any correspondence you have received from Capita).

Change of name

Notification of a change of name must be made in writing to Capita Asset Services at the address on the Contacts page. The notification should include full details of your old and new name and your investor code or IVC (which you will find on your share certificate, dividend vouchers or any correspondence you have received from Capita).

You should also enclose the following:

• Your share certificate; AND
• An original Marriage Certificate; or
• An original Deed Poll; or
• A Statutory Declaration bearing both your old and new signatures.

If you are a married woman wishing to revert to your maiden name after divorce Capita will require:

• Your share certificate; AND
• A copy of the decree absolute and marriage certificate (to confirm maiden name); or
• A copy of the decree absolute and birth certificate if the marriage certificate is not available.

Capita will process the change of name on the account and return a share certificate bearing the new name.

Death of a shareholder

Notification of the death of a shareholder must be made in writing to Capita Asset Services at the address on the Contacts page. Shares cannot be transferred to another person until the office copy of the grant of probate or letters of administration (or equivalent issued in the jurisdiction in which the shareholder lived), are sent to Capita with the share certificate. The shares will be registered in the name of the legal representative of the deceased and can thereafter be transferred to the beneficiary, as detailed below in the Transferring Shares section, or sold.

If the shares are held in joint names the name of the deceased party will be removed from the register of members upon receipt by Capita of a death certificate. The share certificate should also be returned to enable an amended share certificate to be issued in the name of the surviving joint holder.

If the estate of the deceased is below a certain value it is possible to use Capita's small estate procedure, which is less costly. Advice in respect of the applicable limits and procedure can be sought from Capita using the contact details on the Contacts page.

Transferring shares

Shares can be transferred to another party using a Stock Transfer Form, which should be completed with the details of the transferor and transferee and signed by the transferor. Guidance on completing the form can be found with the stock transfer form link above. If stamp duty is applicable to the transfer, the form will require stamping by HMRC prior to being sent to Capita Asset Services with the share certificate. Guidance on stamp duty can be found on the HMRC website.

On receipt of the executed stock transfer form and share certificate the shares will be transferred into the name of the transferee and a new share certificate issued. In the event that only some of the shares represented by the transferor's share certificate are transferred, a balancing certificate will be issued in respect of those shares retained.

Checking a dividend payment

If you are not using the Share Portal you can check the details of a dividend payment by calling Capita's Shareholder Helpline on 0871 664 0300 (Calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras, lines are open 8.30am - 5.30pm Monday to Friday). Please ensure you advise them that your shares are held in Treatt plc and have your investor code or IVC to hand (which you will find on your share certificate, dividend vouchers or any correspondence you have received from Capita).

Lost share certificate

If you have lost your share certificate you will need to contact Capita Asset Services at the address provided on the Contacts page. Please note an administration fee will be payable in respect of lost certificates. It will be necessary complete a letter of indemnity and, where the value of the holding to which the certificate relates exceeds £100, provide financial cover to support the indemnity. Cover can be arranged independently or through Capita, details in respect of which will be provided with the letter of indemnity. Where Capita arrange cover the administration will be increased to reflect this.

Buying and selling shares

There are many easy and convenient ways to buy and sell shares, with most high street banks and building societies offering a trading service. There are also many options for trading shares online, providing broadly equivalent services, although rates of commission may vary.

As registrar of Treatt plc, Capita Asset Services offer an online and telephone service to personal holders who wish to buy or sell shares in Treatt. Advance registration is not required and the service, which is quick and easy to use, allows trading at a real time price, which is advised to you at the time of your instruction. Alternatively, instructions can be given to trade at a particular price so you do not have to watch the market, whilst waiting to trade.

For further details of the service, commission rates and terms and conditions, please see the Share Dealing Services section of the Capita website.

Donating shares to charity

Occasionally, a shareholder may find themselves holding a very small number of shares which it is uneconomic to sell.

One solution is to donate them to charity through ShareGift. The shares are reregistered in the name of ShareGift which holds them until it has accumulated sufficient number of shares in a particular company to make it cost effective to sell. Proceeds from the sale of the shares are donated to UK charities.

ShareGift is a registered charity and further information can be found on the ShareGift website.